Saturday, May 27, 2017

Another Dog Day

A family from Greensboro, NC came up the trail with their dog and I offered to dogsit.  His name is Rugby, a mix of lab and heeler. He was a bit anxious when his family left and watched them until they were out of sight. He calmed down after I fed him a Pup-Peroni.


He has some great markings, brindle all over with one eye and ear dark brown. I was surprised how soft he was.



 He was also extremely affectionate.  When I was sitting in my chair, he put his front legs over my shoulders and licked my arms, face, and neck.  That was all the exposed skin I had.  I won't need a shower tonight.  He was also a singer.  He would throw his head back and howl like a wolf, just not as loud.  Here, though, I think he was sniffing something in the air.


A butterfly kept landing on my camera on the table.  I pushed the button several times, but this was the best picture I got.


This was an unusual sight in Big Creek on a holiday weekend.  Someone had just left.  Someone else pulled into the space just after I snapped the picture.


The campground was full again early in the day.


The campers in Sites 2 and 3 are not roughing it.  They each have a toilet/shower tent.



They even have HOT showers!  This is new to me.  It is a propane water heater.  The small black box in front of the heater is a battery to run the water pump.


This adorable little camper in Site 10 was worn out and sleeping on Daddy's lap.


They also had a smaller boy in a portable crib.  I don't know how much hiking he did, but he was conked out.


This couple was the highlight of the day.  They are from Sebastian, Florida. (She is from Minnesota originally).  He had never seen mountains and was beside himself with excitement, enthusiasm, and awe.  They came in from the interstate in the morning on a whim.  As they were driving up Big Creek Road and rounded a curve, a  mama bear with three cubs was standing in the middle of the road.  He showed me his pictures on his cell phone.


They were still joyous in the evening when they posed for a picture for me.  It was so satisfying for me to see them enjoying their adventure. They plan to continue exploring all the way to Washington (state).

On the radio:  

An unattended parked car rolled off the road.  I couldn't determine how far off or down, but they did call for a tow truck.

Someone announced that he was out with an owl jam.

There was a rescue being performed on the Crooked Arm Ridge Trail, but we did not hear the beginning and, hence, did not know what happened.  It took several hours for a little team to be formed, reach the person, and carry them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment