Saturday, May 30, 2015

May 30, 2015 - Smoky Mountain Maintenance Man

Andy made crepes for breakfast. I mixed up some cottage cheese and blueberries for the filling. Yum. Andy made a full pot of coffee, anticipating Spence’s arrival about 0830, but he did not show up.

For some reason, this morning I got the notion to take pictures as I walked around. Maybe every ten yards or so, if I wasn’t distracted, I would snap. Now I remember I also did that on the boat and while walking around European cities. It did not show much that I don’t usually pay attention to, but I did take some that I have never done before.

When we walk up to the campground from the host site, I usually pay attention to the left of this picture, the sidewalk toward the toilet building and parking lot. Today I looked up the driveway toward the gate and Big Creek Road.


I walk between these four trees multiple times every day and have never really looked at them this way.

 
This is the kind of thing I normally take a picture of. (I know, I ended the sentence with a preposition. It’s the way I talk.) The air mattresses are stacked outside to dry and the pillows are spread out on a tarp in Site 5.

  
This is the forest floor near the group site, taken from the horse trail. I should marvel over this more often as the Great Smoky Mountains are a wonder of biodiversity.


Spence and Linda showed up at our site with their lunches. I heated our stew and we all sat in our screen room to eat. Spence had been in Gatlinburg in the morning, getting a truck fixed, I think.

This little boy had just fallen down with a big cluster of grapes, most of which scattered on the ground. He hurt his arm on the gravel and almost started to cry. Uncle Andy quickly offered to put a new arm on him. It was hard to tell whether the little guy was going for it, but he forgot about the arm while probably wondering, “Is this guy for real?”



His big sister was hiding behind the boulder, playing police-and-bad guys with some other children when we came by. We called it cops-and-robbers when I was a kid.

 
Of course, I’ve been taking a lot of pictures of sun shining through leaves lately. Maybe I haven’t captured this particular branch hanging over the bridge though.


I take a picture like this nearly every day the sun is shining.

 
Maintenance Spence and Linda had just finished cleaning the toilet building in the tent campground. Spence objected to me taking a picture of him when he was working. If I take a picture of him taking a break, he complains that I never take a picture of him working.

  
I usually take a picture of this branch when the sun is shining on it. They never look as good as real life though. Too much detail is washed out by the sun. It is along the campground road.


I noticed these growing along the path from the horse day-use parking area. It wasn’t time for another snap, but the sun was shining on them. I never would have noticed them otherwise. They are tiny, about this size of a straight pin. I could barely see them without zooming in with the camera. They are growing from a patch of moss on a log. I’ll have to try for a sharper image tomorrow.

 
Here’s another thing I have never taken a picture of. It is the water faucet in the horse camp. It was time to snap something.

 
When we were not walking around, I worked on entering receipts into Quicken and balancing statements. The big excitement of the day came after dark. We had closed all the shades and Andy was taking his boots off when we got a knock at the door. An excited young man said that a horse and buggy had fallen off Big Creek Road down past the horse camp and they wanted me to call a ranger. He also said the doctor in the group site was going to help.

I called dispatch on the radio to report and said we would go check it out and call back. We drove the car and Andy had the presence of mind to take his flashlight. I left mine safely back in the motorhome. Just at the horse camp entrance, we came upon a group of horses and riders making their way up the road. They said they were not with the others, but had come upon them a while back. Then we encountered two men walking. They were not hurt and did not want a ranger. One of the men said he wanted a ride down to the stop sign. Our back seat is full of “stuff” so there is only room for two in the car. Andy got out and said he would walk while I drove the man home. He lives in the old house across the creek from the park entrance.

We had not gone too far when I saw a light off the down-mountain side of the road and stopped the car. A man, a horse, and a grown boy climbed up over the edge of the road in my headlights. I asked if they were OK and they were not hurt. The horse kept sticking its head in the car window. The man kept dropping his cell phone and I was afraid I would run over it if I moved the car.

I called dispatch again and reported that no one was hurt or wanted help and I was driving the man home. We met the doctor and his son as they were driving back up the road and asked the man if he wanted the doctor to check him over. He said, “I don’t need no doctor”. I relayed the message, “He don’t need no doctor”. Then he told me that some hikers had spooked the horse and that caused the accident.

The others walked. The man wanted Andy’s flashlight, but Andy was not willing to part with it. That made the man angry and he told Andy to go away, he wasn’t needed. Apparently, he fussed at Andy all the way down the road. After I dropped off the man at his house and made my way back up the road, I met the boy with the horse. He apologized, “My dad is drunk and he’s been cussin’ your husband”. Next, I encountered Andy and he got in the car, livid and ready for a fight.

When we got back to our site, we chatted with the doctor in the group site. I told him the men were drunk and he agreed, “moonshine, made it himself”. Andy cooled down a bit and we talked about other things for a while. Ken raises cattle and said he would come over tomorrow and invite us to his house for some grass-fed steaks. Now that really cheered Andy up.

Andy came up with some new song lyrics today. You can guess the tune.

The Smoky Mountain Maintenance Man

He’ll be comin’ round the mountain when he comes.
He’ll be comin’ round the mountain when he comes.
He’ll be comin’ round the mountain. He’ll be cussin’ and a shoutin’
He’ll be comin’ round the mountain when he comes.

He will bring his big weed eater when he comes.
He will bring his big weed eater when he comes.
He will bring his big weed eater and the campground will be neater.
He will bring his big weed eater when he comes.

He will clean the campers ashes when he comes.
He will clean the campers ashes when he comes.
He will clean the campers ashes and where they wipe their asses.
He will clean the campers ashes when he comes.

He’ll be ridin’ on his mower when he comes.
He’ll be ridin’ on his mower when he comes.
He’ll be ridin’ on his mower and the grass is gettin’ lower.
He’ll be ridin’ on his mower when he comes.

He will fire up his blower when he comes.
He will fire up his blower when he comes.
He will fire up his blower, but with age he’s get’n slower.
He will fire up his blower when he comes.

He’ll be drive’n on his Gator when he goes.
He’ll be drive’n on his Gator when he goes.
He’ll be drive’n on his Gator sayin’ “see y’uns later”.
He’ll be drive’n on his Gator when he goes.


One the radio

I did not pay much attention to the radio today. Andy responded to the campground vacancy report; we were full again.


There was a search and rescue going on somewhere in the park, maybe on the Chimneys trail. I did not hear what happened, but it took them hours to get a rescue party gathered at the trail head and hike up with the litter. Maybe just as long to reach the patient. Our very own, Rescue Ranger Heath was part of the team, as usual. He reported reaching the patient and within a few minutes reported that they were heading back down the trail with her on the litter. Much later, I heard him say that they did not need an ambulance; she was leaving in her own car. I’m guessing it was a broken bone and her husband/partner was going to drive her to a clinic to get her patched up.

No comments:

Post a Comment