Sunday, May 3, 2015

May 3, 2015 - Andy's Selfie

Sunday, May 03, 2015 – Big Creek

Most of the campers were heading out this morning. The men in Site 10 had planned to move to Cade’s Cove, but decided Big Creek is too nice to leave. They will drive to Cade’s Cove as a day trip.


The two women in the horse camp were pulling out. The one with the fancy RV/horse trailer was having some problems. She thought she had a dead battery and used her generator to charge it up for several hours. That didn’t solve the problem. She jiggled a wire and that did the trick. That incident reminded me that we do not have the battery charger/tire inflator machine that we used last year. We could tell something was wrong when we saw her truck and trailer parked diagonally across the road.





When she was ready to go, she led her horse from the stall to the trailer. He didn’t want to go in and balked on the ramp. The woman just led him around in a small circle and right into the trailer before he knew which way was out. She said he is young and is still learning.



I told him goodbye and took his picture as he rolled by.



Heard on the radio: a car had been broken into and a purse was stolen from it. A park ranger and dispatch were talking and the ranger said for them to bring the car to the ranger station so he could see the damage and determine whether it was a theft or a loss.

A horsewoman named Cindy stopped by as she was heading up the Big Creek trail. She wanted us to know that when was out there, in case something happened and she did not come back. She expected to be out for a few hours. I said I would watch to make sure she returned and would call the rangers to find her if she did not.

I don’t remember where I took this picture. It looks like a buttercup, but the stem is very tall, maybe more than twelve inches.



I took my computer and the Jetpack (mobile hot spot) and drove down to the ranger station. Andy brought his iPad along. No signal there. Then we drove to the picnic pavilion at the power plant. One bar there. The pavilion even had electrical outlets overhead.



The pavilion has a wood stove in the front of the chimney and a huge grill on the backside. There were a number of picnic tables and two large tables, I assume for the food. It is a great place for a group picnic.



The Jetpack and the computer power supply were hanging from the outlet on the beam above.



Yes, I did have to climb up onto the table to plug them in.

I was able to receive some emails, but could not send out my logs or function on line. We drove down to the Pigeon River, where they launch the rafts and kayaks. Two bars there; it is next to the interstate. I set the Jetpack on top of the car and operated the computer with it sitting on the back seat while I stood next to the car. The logs went out. I know I duplicated some that I already sent out, but couldn’t remember which days I had sent before.

Boss Larry dropped by just as we finished eating dinner. He brought us the reservation reports for the group and horse camps. There are no groups scheduled until Friday and no reservations for the horse camp for the next week. We got to hear more about Larry and Kristen’s trip to Australia and New Zealand last winter.

Spence and Linda dropped by after they finished cleaning the toilet buildings. It was Linda’s first day back at work for the season. I guess her work year is about six months long. Spence had come back earlier than most seasonal workers because he did some other maintenance work around the park.



Linda cleans the Cosby campground and sometimes comes to Big Creek on Spence’s days off. Spence goes to Cosby to help Linda clean on the weekends. Cosby is a big campground and has eight toilet buildings.



I listened to Spence and Linda talk about being unemployed for half the year. Some people get unemployment checks, but apparently some do not. Spence mentioned a woman who didn’t get her unemployment checks until she was already back at work the next season. Linda told me that it is very difficult to get a year-round, full-time job in this area. She said employers do not want to pay any benefits, especially health care.

Horsewoman Cindy returned while Spence and Linda were here.

Andy went into the motorhome to get some water and I asked him to bring me my camera so I could take pictures of Spence and Linda. Tonight, when I put the pictures on the computer, I saw this one.



I asked Andy, “What is this?”
“I took a selfie!”
I’m still laughing.

There were new campers in the afternoon. This stump is beside the horse trail and it always fascinates me. It is larger than it appears in this picture. It looks just right for a cozy fox or bear den, but we don’t see any signs of animals going in or out.



As we walked down the trail to the horse camp, we saw some deer leaping in the woods from the horse stalls. We guessed that they were eating horse hay that had dropped to the ground. We walked around the loop and saw the deer in the horse camp day-use lot. I found a spot where I could see them clearly through the trees and took five or ten pictures before I got one with both deer looking toward me.




I hate to have to tell you this, but they were eating horse poop.

























No comments:

Post a Comment