Thursday, July 21, 2016

People Seen in Big Creek - Ranger Dennis Milligan

As an introduction of sorts, I'm posting pictures of Great Smoky Mountains National Park employees I  have taken over the years. These are the "characters" in my book, Big Creek - A Closer Look at a National Park, in order of appearance.

Park Ranger Dennis Milligan was there to greet us when we first arrived in the park in July of 2010. He led us to our  camp host site in Big Creek.


I thought he looked so young but, that is probably because I am getting so old.

One day, Dennis came to Big Creek on his day off to run up the Big Creek trail.  We dog sat his two dogs Kelly and Cody. They waited patiently for Dennis to return.



Dennis responded to a broken-leg incident at the Midnight Hole.  Then, the boy in the background had fallen off the trail and rolled down the mountain.  Dennis had heard him calling for help and told him to follow the creek down to the picnic area.



Ranger Dennis transferred to Joshua Tree National Park to be closer to his girlfriend. Now I am determined to visit Joshua Tree to see him again.


No comments:

Post a Comment