Monday, June 15, 2015

June 15, 2015 - Return of the Elk

We drove to Costco in Knoxville, Tennessee for some two-way radios we had seen there the last time we went. They were all gone. The lady at the service desk suggested that I try getting them on line. I didn’t whine to her about how hard it is for me to get on line these days. We picked up a few grocery items and headed to the coffee shop in Newport. It was closed. I stopped at the river to do a send/receive, but I think the battery had died in my Verizon Jetpack. I could not send or receive. I am so frustrated with the lack of internet access this year.
The big event today was the same as yesterday. The same elk eating the grass in front of the toilet building in the picnic area. It was earlier in the day than yesterday so the pictures are better. Here is the requisite butt shot.

 

I moved around to the sunny side.

 

Here is her face. I decided those ears make her look rather mulish.

 

The picture looks like she was saying something, but she was quiet.

 

This has to be the picture of the day. She finished grazing and headed for the small grove of trees between the lawn and the road to our host site. My camera has a feature whereby, in some conditions, such as back light, it will take two pictures and merge them. I was holding the camera still, but the elk was walking. Would you believe I saw a seven-legged elk?  I have a picture to prove it.

 

I was surprised when she nestled down in the leaves. I was not as close as the picture would suggest. I found a spot where I could zoom in through the trees.

 

Just then, Spence drove by on his Gator and Richard drove by on a tractor carrying a dumpster. That’s the other exciting news of the day; we got new dumpsters in Big Creek.

 

She didn’t like the noise and got up to move on. By the time she got to the edge of our road, they were gone by. She seemed to pause to decide what to do next. Then she crossed the road and walked up the horse path.

 

The other wildlife today was this strange creature on the gravel next to Sao. It was about an inch or two long. I could not decide which end is which.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment